The Yale Center for Earth Observation has a job opportunity for a Remote Sensing Specialist. This new hire will manage the YCEO’s Lab and support campus-wide remote sensing teaching and research. The target hiring date is Oct 1. Prospective applicants should contact the YCEO Faculty Director, Xuhui Lee (email@example.com), for more information and application instructions.
Research Associate 2
*Job Code / *Job Grade: 086 / 23
*Posting Title: Remote Sensing
*Job Family: Research Res Support *Effective Date: October 1, 2021
Manage the Yale Center for Earth Observation and support university-wide teaching and research
on environmental remote sensing.
The Yale Center for Earth Observation (YCEO) is a teaching and research lab for the Yale community
specializing in the use of satellite-based remote sensing. Our workstations have been configured to
handle the processing and graphics demands typical in remote sensing. These workstations use high
performance video graphics cards and multiple LCD monitors to access data on our dedicated server.
This equipment, coupled with the latest versions of the predominant Remote Sensing and GIS
software, provide a strong foundation to support the remote sensing needs of the Yale community.
Under the direction of the YCEO Faculty Director, the Remote Sensing Specialist will:
• Manage the daily operation of the Yale Center for Earth Observation
• Maintain and update the YCEO website
• Serve as the primary point of contact across Yale University for faculty and staff,
communicating the goals and capabilities of the YCEO
• Oversee the use and maintenance of computers and peripheral equipment
• Support classes on remote sensing applications
• Offer tutorials and workshops on satellite image analysis
• Assist undergraduate and graduate students with remote sensing research
1. Manages user accounts and oversees software licensing and hardware maintenance.
2. Updates the YCEO website content, including news release, FAQs, and project progresses.
3. Maintains 13 workstations (including software and hardware updates), conference area workstation
and smart TV, and printers.
4. Works closely with research faculty and students to identify remote sensing opportunities and
aspects of study that need to overcome.
5. Refreshes content of class exercises with the latest advances in remote sensing, trains teaching
fellows on class materials, supports instructors with lecture preparation, and assists students with
6. Maintains network file folders with course materials.
7. Creates and publishes (online) written tutorials about remote sensing (data sources, analysis
methods, software tools).
8. Provides support to faculty and students in image acquisition, image analysis, archival and reporting.
9. Enhances YCEO data capacity by learning advanced geospatial techniques and software.
10. Participates in university-wide geospatial activities, including In-person and virtual consultations
for remote sensing and GIS inquiries, online resources (software guides, data access, techniques) and
Yale GIS Day.
11. May perform other duties as assigned.
*Required Education and Experience:
Master’s Degree in a related discipline and two years of experience or an equivalent combination of
education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Proficient in ENVI software
• Experience in satellite image analysis
• Familiarity with environmental remote sensing data products
• Experience in configuring desktop computers and workstations
• Knowledge of satellite data access portals such as EarthExplorer (USGS), Earthdata (NASA), and
Copernicus Open Access Hub (ESA)
• Some familiarity with GIS applications
• Familiarity or interest in learning programming methods for raster analysis (R, Python, IDL,
• Experience in Google Earth Engine desirable but not required
Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate in a team environment
• Proven experience training others, as well as supervising the use of a facility and equipment
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks to ensure their quality and on-time delivery
Required Licenses or Certifications: