The GeoHealth Lab in the Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment at East Carolina University is seeking a candidate for a 2-Year Research Assistantship beginning in Fall 2020. A successful applicant will work on environmental health GIS projects under the supervision of Dr. Yoo Min Park and pursue an M.S. degree in Geography. The position is open until it is filled.
Job Description: A student will be involved in a project that assesses human exposure to air pollution using GIS, geospatial analysis/visualization methods, and low-cost air pollution sensors. The student will also work with community partners and communities to promote the public awareness of indoor and outdoor air pollution and to reveal where clean air efforts should be focused to reduce environmental health disparities.
Students with research interests in GIS, geospatial analysis, environmental health, and/or health disparities are encouraged to apply. Programming skills are preferred, but not mandatory.
- Bachelor’s degree in geography, public health, environmental health, environmental studies, data science, computer science, or other related fields
- GIS and geospatial data analysis skills
- Interest in interdisciplinary research
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Qualifications (not mandatory):
- Programming skills (e.g., Python, R)
- Strong commitment to community-engaged research and/or experience working with communities or local organizations/agencies
- Exposure to (spatial) statistics
- Experience with Web GIS
How to Apply: Please contact Dr. Yoo Min Park (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your CV as soon as possible to express your interest and discuss qualifications before submitting an application. For more information, visit Dr. Park’s personal website (www.yoominpark.com) and the department website (geography.ecu.edu/). Follow the Graduate College instructions to apply for the degree program (www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/