The University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS) will be hosting a poster session at its 2020 Symposium in Honolulu, Hawaii. We invite you to share your research and activities from across the geospatial sciences.
UCGIS Student Scholarship: Call for Posters (and Travel Awards!)
The Hawaii Symposium 2020
Hawaii Pacific University, Honolulu, Hawaii
May 28 – June 1, 2020
Students, share your research and activities! Earn recognition and compete for an award!
The University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS) will be hosting a poster session at its 2020 Symposium in Honolulu, Hawaii. We invite you to share your research and activities from across the geospatial sciences. Posters are a great way to highlight your work, and you’ll gain important feedback and exchange ideas from thought-leaders in our field! Plus, thanks to the generous support of our sponsors, eligible students can compete to receive funding to support their participation in the Symposium!
Travel Awards: UCGIS will provide a total of four awards for students from its member institutions.
- Two students who would be traveling to Hawaii from the mainland will be selected to receive a $750 travel grant, and all Symposium registration fees will be waived!
- Two students already in Hawaii will be selected to receive a $250 travel grant, and all Symposium registration fees will be waived!
Eligibility and Steps for Participation:
- By Monday January 20, 2020, prepare an abstract (maximum of 300 words) that describes the work you are doing within the domain of geographic information science & technology (GIS&T).
- If you wish to be considered for one of the travel grants, prepare a separate and additional statement (< 150 words) that describes why and how participation at the UCGIS Symposium will advance your career.
- Once you have your content prepared, use this online submission form to submit your materials.
- The program committee will assess the submission based on its quality, its innovation, and its fit within the UCGIS mission to advance GIScience research and education.
- All decisions will be made by Monday February 10, 2020, by when you will hear if your poster has been accepted AND if you have been selected to receive a travel grant. Students from any institution, worldwide, are encouraged to submit an abstract and share their posters, but only students from current UCGIS member institutions are eligible to be considered for a travel award.
- Make your travel plans for Hawaii! The Symposium takes place from Friday May 28 – Sunday June 1, 2020. Very low-cost lodging is available in comfortable, modern dorms on the Hawaii Pacific University Campus, where our events are being held.
- Plus, there are workshops that will take place on Thursday May 28 and Monday June 1. The workshops are FREE for anyone from our member institutions who is also attending the Symposium, and open to all other individuals at a super low cost ($75 for any of the half-day workshops).
- UCGIS will automatically register recipients of a travel award for the Symposium. All other individuals will need to register by May 1, 2020, after which point the program will be finalized for publication. Note that early-bird registration rates will end on March 15, 2020.
If you have any questions about the Symposium or this poster session, please reach out to Diana Sinton, UCGIS Executive Director, or Karen Kemp, UCGIS 2019-20 President.