Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Geospatial Intern, Business Intelligence & Geospatial Internship Program (Paid)
The Travelers Internship Program provides qualified students an excellent paid opportunity to gain first-hand business experience, receive valuable on-the-job training, and take a 10 week journey to discover if one of the many opportunities in the Insurance industry – including the growing field leveraging geospatial within business intelligence – is right for you.
Looking for robust experience in cutting-edge mapping and analytics projects in the field of geospatial? We are looking to fill our Geospatial intern class for the summer of 2019. The successful candidate will assist on an innovative geospatial collaborative Property & Casualty insurance initiative. Candidates should have proficiency with basic GIS concepts for data downloading, review, and compiling, metadata creation and editing, as well as spatial analysis to generate new data sets.
How can students interface with Geospatial at Travelers?
This position will provide exposure to a wide variety of GIS datasets, offering a unique experience to work hands on with experienced analytical team members to see the GIS data put into action. Your best in class experience is managed by the Business Intelligence & Geospatial program office which will assign a Mentor, Peer Advisor, a summer training curriculum that focuses on business acumen and technical awareness. The program also offers a number of summer events for the Business Intelligence & Analytics (BI&A) community interns including a speaker series, workshops, presentations, and networking events.
- Coursework from an accredited college or university with major focus in:
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Computer Science,
- Information Systems
- Candidates will have 1- 2 years of experience with GIS principles and practices in a college setting
- Experience with the ESRI ArcGIS suite of software products 10.x is required. (Pro preferred)
- Knowledge of basic geography principles is preferred.
- Proficiency in PostgreSQL, PostGIS, Python and/or other programming languages strongly preferred
- Good analytical and profiling skills, some basic statistical knowledge.
- Rising senior in college in good junior standing with a preferred GPA of 3.2 or better.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for future sponsorship.
This 10-12 week paid position is expected to begin on June 2, 2020.
Opportunities are available in both Hartford, Conn. and St. Paul, Minn.
- Background in computer science, geography, statistics, and /or other relevant GIS field
- High familiarity with acquiring, cleaning, and modifying geospatial data
- Solid understanding of uses cases for Python in geospatial
- Interested in web mapping applications, design, and software development
- Proficiency in open source GIS mapping software and platforms required;
- Experience with database management
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Strong communication and presentation delivery skills
- Fast learner; willingness to take on projects outside the scope of work
- Enthusiastic, motivated team player
Like what you’ve read?
- Visit travelers.com/careers
- Click on “Job Search” in the top left hand column
- Search for Geospatial Intern or follow the link below:
William B. Tarinelli Jr. | BIG Program Manager | Business Intelligence & Geospatial Development Program
One Tower Square | GS10
Hartford, CT 06183
W: 860.277.1273 F: 877.875.8574