Basic Function/Purpose of Position:
The GIS Analyst provides mapping and data-related support for a mission-driven organization advancing conservation on the Peninsula and in the South Bay for the benefit of all. The GIS Analyst provides mapping and cartography, data collection, database management, research, and general support to POST’s Land, Communications, and Development teams, as well as the overall coordination of POST’s GIS program. The GIS Analyst will also work closely with POST’s Director of Conservation Science to provide analytical support on a variety of projects.
Essential Duties & Functions of the Job:
- GIS mapping, analysis, and cartography (ArcMap 10.6 & ArcGIS Pro 2.3).
- Research related to mapping and analysis.
- Technical support of GPS and field mapping devices.
- Support of data collection, including field data.
- Support management of GIS database and GIS projects.
- Assistance with documentation of GIS program’s evolving standards and methods.
- Additional graphic and visual support as needed.
- Occasional presentation technical assistance for internal and external meetings.
Supports the Land Department by:
- Preparing maps related to property research, presentations, transactional exhibits, etc.
- Maintaining relevant and current GIS data in the database.
- Preparing maps for use by staff in meetings with partner organizations.
- Developing and maintaining GIS data for land management purposes.
- Providing support for stewardship mapping and monitoring for POST, and its stewardship partners as needed.
- Preparing visuals as needed for Stewardship projects (e.g. exhibits for permitting/regulatory use).
- Supporting annual Conservation Easement monitoring.
Supports the Director of Conservation Science by:
- Developing, maintaining and integrating GIS data for the Conservation Prioritization Framework.
- Providing modeling and analysis support to identify key conservation priorities, such as modeling for identifying wildlife linkage design and monitoring or assessing forest health condition.
Supports the Marketing and Development Departments by:
- Preparing maps for Communications purposes (e.g. publications).
- Maintaining up-to-date POST Projects map and other visuals as needed for use in donor engagement.
Performs general office duties and administrative support as required, including:
- Preparing meeting materials
- Responding to requests for information
- Maintaining filing system
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Mapping and GIS skills (ESRI and Google Earth software)
- GPS data acquisition and management
- Technical experience with computer programming (any language), basic statistics, and remote sensing
- One to two years of relevant experience
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (or equivalent experience)
- Ability to effectively collaborate with wide variety of individuals and groups
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and effectively handle multiple tasks and complete tasks and projects on time
- Ability to work independently and display adaptability as needed; demonstrated desire to continue learning
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint (or equivalent)
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 15 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
- Must be able to hike rough terrain.
- Must be able to drive.
- Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends.
POST is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of under-represented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff. By supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work, everyone in our region can feel a greater sense of ownership over the future of our landscape and enjoy meaningful connections to nature that grow and endure for generations to come.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to the following link: https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=