California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) office, Sacramento, CA
RECRUITMENT ID: 695, GIS Senior Analyst
Working closely with Ecologists and GIS Analysts in a group setting, the incumbent works on various projects supporting the mapping and analysis of wildlife and habitat connectivity in California. Duties include compiling and digitizing data in ArcGIS for use in connectivity analysis; preparation of connectivity datasets for publication on CDFW’s web mapping application, BIOS; designing a database for tracking terrestrial connectivity data; data entry and quality checking; running spatial models using ArcGIS and R; distributing program data; and performing literature searches on wildlife and connectivity research and summarizing findings. They may also participate in field work, editing, and other duties as assigned.
Requires Bachelor of Science in biology, ecology, environmental science, or a related field. Enrollment in or completion of a Certificate or Degree program in GIS, or substantial experience in GIS. Experience working with biological datasets and spatial models using ArcGIS and R, such as species distribution models and connectivity analysis. Experience using MS Access software to design databases, including writing queries, macros, and making forms.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities include:
• Use of MS Access software and Esri ArcMap products;
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing;
• Ability to function cooperatively and productively as a member of a unit;
• Ability to prioritize tasks and to solve problems while communicating issues and asking for clarification;
• Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time; this is primarily an office job with very little field work