Manage and develop Blue Ventures’ volunteer science training programme, working closely with other staff on site.
- Prepare, present and update lectures to volunteers on all subjects covered within Blue Ventures’ science training programme.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all practical and methodological skills and techniques covered in the programme.
- Oversee volunteer training carried out by staff on site, to maintain quality control of science training programme.
- Coordinate all day-to-day research and community outreach activities carried out during expeditions, within the strategic plan of the research programme.
- Instruct and supervise methodological and sampling design.
- Adapt and develop research methodologies to suit local conditions, where necessary simplifying methodological design to be appropriate for non-specialist survey personnel.
- Plan, undertake and lead research SCUBA dives.
- Oversee data collection and validation testing to ensure accurate data collection.
- Ensure that all data are entered correctly and efficiently, checked and analysed within an appropriate timescale and sent to the MEL team in London every expedition.
- Ensure all data is backed up appropriately on external hard drives on site and in London.
Programme management and development:
- Identify opportunities for grants and funding within country x to develop Blue Ventures research and conservation programmes
- Oversight of grant management and reporting for project x with guidance from the Conservation Director and Finance Director
- Work with other research staff on site to produce regular research updates, blogs and social media updates, summarising efforts, findings and results.
Additional duties shared by all staff on site.
- Support diving and logistical staff on site with the day-to-day running of the project.
- Ensure that site rules and regulations are respected and adhered to by all personnel.
- Liaise with UK staff in the preparation of funding bids and proposals to support the research programme on site.
- Maintain the morale and enthusiasm of volunteers throughout all aspects of the expedition.
For a full description of the role including responsibilities and how to apply, please click here.