The Water Pollution Control Authority (WPCA) for the City of Norwalk seeks a GIS intern to assist in the development and quality control of various GIS layers. Performs technical functions necessary to create and maintain GIS spatial data, uses centrally managed spatial data for analysis and mapping; general maintenance and editing of databases and GIS data, scanning and rectifying existing maps and engineering data, assistance with various technical and administrative assignments; and basic field research assistance. This position will work a flexible work schedule of up to 37.5 hours per week. Pay for this part-time internship position is $12.50 per hour.
This position requires the individual be engaged in undergraduate or graduate studies at an accredited college or university with an emphasis in GIS, geography, environmental science, engineering, or similar. GIS experience and familiarity with ESRI ArcGIS software is required. The ability to follow instructions precisely, communicate clearly, and work independently is also required. A working knowledge of computers, computer networking, plotters and printers, and ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 or newer release.
• Bachelors degree or in pursuit of a Bachelors degree in Geography, Engineering, or other technical field with an emphasis in GIS use and development
• Microsoft Office, ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS for Server, ArcSDE, ArcPad
• Familiar with civil engineering, environmental sciences, environmental mapping, and/or cartography
• Ability to plan and execute GIS projects with knowledge of proper mapping techniques
• Familiarity with data manipulation (e.g., Excel, Access)
• Excellent and demonstrated verbal and written communications skills
$12.50 per hour
Submission and Contact Information
Please submit resume or CV to:
Steven Birney, GIS Analyst
WPCA for the City of Norwalk, Second Floor
15 South Smith Street, Norwalk, CT 06855